Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mason Jar Soap Dispenser



Need to give your kitchen a little retro, country make-over? Here’s a simple way to do it! Combine two functional items in one to create a unique, eclectic look for your kitchen or bathroom. So check out this tutorial to create your very own mason jar soap dispensers. Enjoy!









What you need:
Mason jar (or any well-cleaned glass jar with metal lid)
Plastic soap bottle with pump on top
Spray paint
Spray primer
Spray glass froster (optional)
Drill bit the size of the soap pump’s circumference
Note: All of my spray products are Rustoleum brand, which I LOVE! They cover super well and dry fast!

What to do:
1. If you desire a frosted glass look, use a glass-frosting spray to lightly spray your jar. I used my Cricut to cut a scrolled design onto a vinyl sheet, then stuck the decal onto the jar and sprayed over it. This created a cute stencil detail on my jar. If you prefer, you can skip this step- your soap dispenser will still look great!
2. Remove and clean the soap pumps from the bottle and wash and dry them thoroughly. You will first want to spray them with a couple coats of a spray primer. Allow this to dry for at least an hour (I know, I hate the steps that require patience, too!) Then you’re ready to paint the pump. I used this American Classics Metallics (Another great Rustoleum product) for a dark coppery type finish.
3. Now you need to find a drill bit the size of the circumference of the bottom part of t
he pump. Drill your hole and set aside.
4. This part is a little tricky to explain, so bear with me. You will need to make a cut (my hubby did this with a hack saw) right underneath the threads of the opening of your bottle.
5. Now screw the top of the pump onto the bottom part with the mason jar lid in between them. Clear as mud? I hope the pictures help!
6. Fill your jar with soap (or hand sanitizer, lotion, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh I love this idea! I will definitely have to make a set of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking that my dear sister-in-law would love to make a second set of these for her dear sister-in-law. Hee!Hee!

    ReplyDelete